Osborne Interiors offered to replant the Cumberland Avenue site, provided they proceed with extensive housing development at Castle Woods as well as building one house at Cumberland Avenue – David Adams, HCWG’s Convenor, expressed strong criticism of any attempt to influence planning decisions in this way.
Archive | campaigns RSS feed for this section
Despite strong opposition from HCWG and Helensburgh Community Council (and a formal offer from HCWG to purchase the land for a community woodland), Osborne Interiors managed to secure planning permission for three houses on the smaller Cumberland Avenue site. For more information, see the reports at:
On the May Bank Holiday, when council offices were closed, Osborne Interiors began to fell the protected woodland on the larger Cumberland Avenue site. Despite strong opposition from HCWG, including a public demonstration on the footpath adjacent to the woodland, the company eventually managed to persuade the Council to allow felling of the larch trees (but not of the other species, most of which were also felled). When virtually all the woodland had been destroyed, the contractors stopped work under threat of legal action from the Council. For more information, see the reports at:
HCWG leaflet – Wasteland to woodland (394KB PDF)
Go-ahead given for trees to be felled (2.0MB PDF)
Protest as trees get the chop (4.9 MB PDF)
Our goal is to protect this nature conservation site and make it accessible to support the health and wellbeing of our community. Public support is vital to our success. Thank you for your help.
- Castle Woods, Helensburgh – Great News – but we need your help! 22 October 2020
- Community Buy-Out Newsletter No9 30 January 2020
- Thank you Helensburgh! 8 October 2019
- August 2019 update: Community Buy-Out Newsletter No. 8 Published 26 August 2019
- February 2019: Jon Hollingdale, Chief Executive of the Community Woodland Association, to speak at AGM 11 February 2019
- November 2018: Community Buy-Out Newsletter No 5 published 9 November 2018
- April 2018: Spring Newsletter published 3 April 2018
- December 2017: Council’s Area Committee welcomes HCWG’s proposals for land at Cumberland Avenue 3 January 2018