Despite strong opposition from HCWG and Helensburgh Community Council (and a formal offer from HCWG to purchase the land for a community woodland), Osborne Interiors managed to secure planning permission for three houses on the smaller Cumberland Avenue site. For more information, see the reports at:
On the May Bank Holiday, when council offices were closed, Osborne Interiors began to fell the protected woodland on the larger Cumberland Avenue site. Despite strong opposition from HCWG, including a public demonstration on the footpath adjacent to the woodland, the company eventually managed to persuade the Council to allow felling of the larch trees (but not of the other species, most of which were also felled). When virtually all the woodland had been destroyed, the contractors stopped work under threat of legal action from the Council. For more information, see the reports at:
HCWG leaflet – Wasteland to woodland (394KB PDF)
Go-ahead given for trees to be felled (2.0MB PDF)
Protest as trees get the chop (4.9 MB PDF)
You are invited to support the work of Helensburgh Community Woodlands Group either in addition to your membership subscription or as a separate donation.
Castle Woods: here we are seeking to save the historic Woods from destruction by a proposed housing estate of between 48 and 72 dwellings and ensure instead that it is turned into a well-managed community woodland.
Cumberland Avenue: here, we are working hard to secure the restoration of land at where woods were felled in 2011.
These campaigns have been widely reported in the local press and on the internet. You can access the latest news and past stories below, including that directly from HCWG.
We would encourage you to respond to recent news by ‘leaving a reply’ at the relevant website or sending a letter to our local paper, the Helensburgh Advertiser at: email@example.com
- Community Buy-Out Newsletter No9 30 January 2020
- Thank you Helensburgh! 8 October 2019
- August 2019 update: Community Buy-Out Newsletter No. 8 Published 26 August 2019
- February 2019: Jon Hollingdale, Chief Executive of the Community Woodland Association, to speak at AGM 11 February 2019
- November 2018: Community Buy-Out Newsletter No 5 published 9 November 2018
- April 2018: Spring Newsletter published 3 April 2018
- December 2017: Council’s Area Committee welcomes HCWG’s proposals for land at Cumberland Avenue 3 January 2018
- December 2017: HCWG offers new future for land at Cumberland Avenue 18 December 2017